Shayaq Ahmed is a civil and transportation engineer with diverse experience in highway safety studies and transportation planning. He has excellent analytical and presentation skills, including proficiency in a wide variety of computer applications including CAD, Microstation, Highway Capacity Software, SimTraff/Synchro, and CORSIM. He is a keen observer of field conditions and is adept at their documentation in engineering drawings and photos. He organizes and manages large databases and excels in investigating causes and solutions for traffic problems and producing attractive and well-written reports.
· FDR Drive at 116th Street (NYSDOT, 2008)-Assisted in preparing AutoCAD drawings including auxiliary lanes and extended acceleration lanes, assisted with calibration of a Corsim traffic simulation model, processed model output into summary tables.
· Safety Investigation of High Accident Locations, New York City (NYSDOT, 2005) – Investigating patterns of high accident incidence for five locations on Jackie Robinson Parkway, involving over 150 accident: Tasks include developing an accident database; diagramming the precise location and type of each accident; observing current traffic behavior; discerning patterns; determining accident causes; and notating geometric and signage deficiencies and pavement and site conditions. Proposing safety improvements in accordance with NYSDOT and AASHTO manuals and preparing reports with detailed CAD drawings.
· Traffic Impact Analysis (BJ’s Wholesale Club) Brush Avenue, Bronx, NY- Assisted in analyzing and tabulating the results of Synchro simulation, PHF and percentage of heavy vehicle calculations.
· Grand Central Parkway 94th Street Interchange Improvements (NYSDOT, 2007) – Conducted mesoscale and microscale screening analysis according to the air quality guidance of the NYSDOT Environmental Procedures Manual (EPM) 2001.Conducting noise and air screening analyses for each improvement option in accordance with the EPM using Traffic Noise Model;
· Route 347 Reconstruction, Suffolk County, NY (NYSDOT, 2006) – Used Microstation-AutoCAD conversion to prepare large scale maps for wetland delineation. Analyzed travel patterns of community contacts to determine appropriateness of mailing list for community outreach.
· Route 112 Reconstruction, Suffolk County, NY (NYSDOT, 2010) – Conducting air-quality analyses for each improvement option in accordance with the NYSDOT EPM.
· Karimnagar-Hyderabad State Highway Construction, India (R&B, 2001)--Contributed to the planning and design of new four-lane state Highway. Tasks included: Assisting in determining the least disruptive and most economical highway alignment through surveying terrain and use of resulting contour maps in the field.. Preparation of preliminary engineering drawings using CAD and cost estimates.
· Contributed to a project for the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) entitled “Innovative Technologies in Transportation.” This included conducting feasibility studies of ITS, Maglev, MegaRail, fuel cell technology, and personalized air transportation systems.
· Prepared a project for the calibration of time headway distribution by testing normal, lognormal, negative exponential, and Pearson Type III distribution with field data.
· Conducted a highway and street design project connecting two streets near the Dallas-Forth Worth Airport, including aligning the roadway and designing horizontal and vertical curves.
· Prepared a proposal to identify flexible bus routes for the City of Arlington, Texas, using ArcView and Corradino’s model for transit propensity.
· Developed a report focusing on the amount of pollutants emitted from a wastewater treatment plant and designed a device for the treatment of pollutants.
· Calibrated a gravity model for conducting market analysis of a shopping center near Dallas using ArcInfo.
· Conducted analyses of the traffic at 4 intersections in Fort Worth, Texas using CORSIM and Synchro.
University of Texas at Arlington, Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering, 2004
Fundamentals of Engineering (EIT), 2004
Member, Institute of Transportation Engineers
Member, American Society of Civil Engineers